Today’s accomplishment, though small, is also big. Given a WordPress widget that is inserted both in a Page and in a global footer, where I want the full text to appear in the Page entries and only the first sentence to appear in the global footer entries, I worked out a combination of CSS selectors that only set `display: none;` on the non-first-child elements in the global footer without affecting the same elements in the page.
I spent the last two days getting familiar with Django forms, formsets, and model-forms, and got another module added to the Mobiliaire app.
I’ve been studying up on writing automated software tests for a few weeks and finally sat down to try writing one today. Of the two I attempted to write, I got one to pass (testing a very simple function) and the other one never worked, and I’m scrapping the function it would test because I can live without it. I have two entire apps worth of code that was written without a thought about how to test it that I now need to write tests for. So, that’ll be fun. Okay, maybe not fun. But it’ll keep me busy.
I spent all day manually testing code before its handed over to actual users on a sandbox. Fixed some things that bubbled up. Added some more tickets for later. I’m gonna need a week-long nap when I’m done.
This web app I’m updating is now in the testing phase. And, back when I first wrote it, I was a baby dev and didn’t know about automated testing. Now I a) know about testing but not how to write tests, and b) don’t have time to both learn and write tests. So I’m manually testing everything.
My daytime php project is going well – I made a lot of progress on it today. My evening project of developing a python sketch for MagTag is also going well. I want it to use a connected PM2.5 particle sensor to show both the raw sampling data and calculated AQI values for PM 2.5 AT 24, 8, and 1 hour sample periods. So far it shows the raw data.
I fussed with my MagTag all day and got exactly nowhere with it. Well, it’s had a CircuitPython upgrade from 6.3 to 7.2. But otherwise, nada. Known-good sketches run fine. But it doesn’t like the new one I’m putting together. Jerk.
Spent most of the day working out updates to one of my RasPi sensor scripts so it uses PySimpleGUI and while I was rearranging everything I threw as much as possible into functions.